Here’s a great way for book fans to spend a summer evening. The Books Beneath the Bridge Series brings authors to Brooklyn Bridge Park for free book events with readings, Q&A, and book signings.
Books Beneath the Bridge takes place on the Granite Prospect steps at Brooklyn Bridge Park. Enjoy the book readings and enjoy a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge and the lower Manhattan skyline.
There are six Monday evening events scheduled each season during the months of July and August, Each event is curated by a local, independent bookstore. Start time is 7:00 p.m.
Please visit the Books Beneath the Bridge page at the Brooklyn Bridge Park for details and program updates.
2017 Books Beneath the Bridge Schedule:
- July 10 – Freebird Bookstore – Erica Wagner, author of Chief Engineer, talks about Washington Roebling and the building of the Brooklyn Bridge.
- July 17 – Powerhouse Arena – Featuring Hannah Tinti and her second novel The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley, and Sarah Gerard with her newest essay collection Sunshine State. Readings, followed by audience Q&A and book signing.
- July 24 – Greenlight Bookstore – a special summer outdoor edition of our quarterly Greenlight Poetry Salon, hosted and curated by Angel Nafis
- July 31 – WORD – Lisa Ko will read from her novel The Leavers, which won the 2016 PEN/Bellweather Prize for Socially Engaged Fiction. Rakesh Satyal, the Lambda Award-winning author of Blue Boy, who will read from his most recent novel No One Can Pronounce My Name.
- August 7 – Community Bookstore Park Slope – Jill Eisenstadt reads from Swell, a darkly funny new novel about a New York family, a conversion of faith, and a haunted house in Rockaway.
- August 14 – Books are Magic – Jenny Zhang, with her first story collection, Sour Heart, and Alissa Nutting with her second novel, Made for Love.
The Books Beneath the Bridge events are held at the Granite Prospect steps on Pier 1 in Brooklyn Bridge Park. The steps, constructed with stone salvaged from the reconstruction of the Roosevelt Island Bridge, provide seating with a great view of the river.